1) Blake Griffin: If you didn't know which player was going to be placed as the top NBA rookie of 2009 than you should pick up a newspaper. Blake Griffin workout shows why he is a special kind of player that only comes around every so often. All of the players on this list have the potential to be great NBA players and All-Stars. However Griffin has the raw talent and the power to accomplish those things in his rookie season. The expectations will be extremly high but that is just were Griffin likes to spend much of his time. His impact should be immediate. The only question is if the number 1 pick in the 2009 NBA Draft can bring a struggling franchise out of their dark grave or will he fall into the trap and become buried in Clipper land.
2) Jonny Flynn: In his first ever College game Jonny Flynn scored 28 points. Pressure is something he strives on. Jonny Flynn summer league play was fun to watch. It is his intensity, aggressiveness and his will to win that makes him my favorite player in the 2009 NBA draft. He is only 6' tall but his heart may be the biggest in the NBA. Maybe it's because I love the position but If you love to watch explosiveness and quickness on a basketball court, look no further. Jonny Flynn may win rookie of the year but make no mistake he will win the hearts of fans across the country. His maturity will make him a starting point guard right out of the gate and his ability to control a team will make him a leader for years to come.
3) Ricky Rubio: It is not sure if Ricky Rubio basketball skills will ever see an NBA court but his talent is matched by few in today's world of basketball. I didn't know his name before I saw him play for Spain in the summer Olympics, but to say I was impressed would be an understatment. To watch him play aganist some of the greatest players in the world as a teenager and dominate plays was remarkable. He could steal and control the ball with so much ease. He is the first player to be drafted in the NBA that was born in the 1990's. If and when he decides to test the North American waters this kid will send shock waves throughout the NBA. He has the talent to be one of the greatest point guards of all time.
4) DeMar DeRozan: This Toronto Raptor may be the most athletic and explosive player selected in the 2009 NBA Draft. He decided to leave school after his freshman season to help take care of his ailing mother. This high flying kid from the city of Compton won the 2008 McDonald's All-American Slam Dunk Competition and is being compared to some of the greatest athletes of today. He has the size and skill to be a special player but it is hard to make comparisons when the man has never played in an NBA game. The one thing that is certain is that this man has the abiltiy to be great above the rim but defensively he will show his true potential. DeMar DeRozan basketball career in Toronto looks bright.
5) James Harden: James Harden may be the most complete player to come from the 2009 NBA draft. He is not a flamboyant player that will electrify the crowd with spectacular plays. James Harden is just a player that comes to play every night and will do anything on the court to help his team to victory. Although he was drafted third, many people had him picked to go lower. When many of those people saw him in different workouts and in game situations their mind would instantly change. I might regret putting Harden in this spot because I think he is the one player that will suprise us all.